SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (Tue, May 01) – First of May, a day that is anticipated to be full of anti-establishment demonstrations all around the world started premature last night with a nomadic gang of "anarchists" destroying car windows and store fronts in San Francisco's Mission District.
|Public property and police station damaged in pre-May day riots in San Francisco|
The pre-May Day riots may have started as a "ruckus street party" organized by Occupy Oakland protesters who raided their neighboring city last night, but whoever was responsible appeared to show little regard for the property of either the 1% or the other 99%.
Various witness accounts say a group of between 50 and 100 people moved down Valencia Street and destroyed a police station by smashing windows and splashing it with paint, Monday night. Police in riot gear were placed on alert outside the station following the attack. One car was set on fire.
Meantime, May Day protests are expected to disrupt the morning commute in major U.S. cities. San Francisco's Golden Gate Ferry service is shut down Monday morning in anticipation of a union worker strike. The ferry shut down is expected to affect as many as 600 commuters in the Bay Area. Officials plan to restore service by mid-afternoon on Monday.
Demonstrators are also expected to block bridges and tunnels in New York.
Watch raw video of the riots in San Francisco: