WASHINGTON – There would be no ‘formal apology’ or ‘formal condolences’ from U.S. President Barack Obama over the killing of two dozen Pakistani troops as a result of NATO air-strikes on Saturday, said White House today.
|NATO airstrikes: Pentagon opposes any 'formal apologize' from President Obama|
Cameron Munter, U.S. envoy to Pakistan in Islamabad, has requested on Monday for a formal video condolence message from President Obama to ease up the mounting tensions between Pakistan and United States. Munter stressed such action was needed badly to help prevent the rapidly worsening relations between the two countries.
“The White House has decided that President Obama will not offer formal condolences ~ at least for now ~ to Pakistan for the deaths of two dozen soldiers in Nato air-strikes last week, overruling State Department officials who argued for such a show of remorse to help salvage America's relationship with Pakistan,” 'The New York Times' said, reflecting the mood prevailing in the administration on Pakistan right now.
According to further reports; the Pentagon conflicted the suggestion from Cameron Munter and argued that such an action would be upsetting for their forces and noted that the statement of Secretary of State Mrs Hillary Clinton in this regard was enough. Further, the President Obama’s apologize can also hurt his presidential campaign as such a step from President could provide solid grounds to his republican opponents.
On Tuesday, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) ordered an inquiry into the incident in which officials of both the Afghan and Pakistan governments have been invited to take part.
According to newspaper; Tommy Vietor, spokesperson of the National Security Council, told that the US government had offered its deepest condolences for the loss of life, from the White House and from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defence Secretary Leon Panetta.
“We cannot offer additional comment on the circumstances of the incident until we have the results,” Mr Vietor said.